Can I settle my South Carolina car wreck claim without a lawyer?
You may not need a lawyer, but it does not hurt to discuss your case with a lawyer. For cases that only involve minor property damage, it is unlikely that a personal injury lawyer can offer much assistance. In more serious cases, it is much more likely that a good personal injury lawyer can assist you.
I would always recommend that you consult with a lawyer, and I can say with certainty that you should have a lawyer review your case under the following circumstances:
- The other driver was intoxicated
- Bones were fractured;
- Medical bills and lost wages together exceed $5,000;
- Preexisting medical conditions are aggravated by the wreck;
- The at fault driver does not have insurance or enough insurance;
- Tractor trailer wreck;
- Medical liens are filed by your health insurer.
- The basic information that you need to share when you speak with a lawyer should answer the following questions:
- When was the wreck?
- Where was the wreck?
- How did the wreck happen?
- Did the police come to the wreck and issue any tickets?
- Were you or was anyone else hurt or what were the injuries?
- What kind of medical treatment have you received?
- What damage was done to your vehicle?
- Do you have insurance?
- Does the other driver have insurance?