South Carolina Lyft Accident Attorney
Lyft and other rideshare services have made it quick and easy to get around South Carolina. Rides can be hailed with a just few clicks on your smartphone app. While getting a ride may be simple, the question of what happens if you’re in a Lyft accident in South Carolina is more complicated. A knowledgeable Lyft accident attorney at David Blackwell Law can clear things up for you.
Whether you were hurt as a passenger in a Lyft vehicle or as an occupant of another car involved in a Lyft crash, compensation may be possible to account for your losses. Schedule a free consultation with one of our injury attorneys today to learn your legal options.
Call or use our online contact form to get started.
Understanding SC Accident Liability Insurance Coverage
In South Carolina, drivers are required to carry a minimum amount of auto liability insurance for bodily injury and property damage, as well as minimum amounts of uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM). Accident victims can file claims for compensation through the policyholder’s personal auto insurance. Depending on the circumstances, this may be how you get compensation from your Lyft driver if he/she is at fault for your accident.
However, the amount of insurance coverage is not unlimited. Serious car accidents can result in bodily injuries and losses that well exceed South Carolina’s minimum policy limits. Once that limit is reached, the insurance company will not provide any further compensation. In those cases, the injured parties may pursue further recovery from the at-fault driver’s own personal assets. But you may also be covered by Lyft.
How Lyft’s Insurance Policy Works
Lyft is also required to carry insurance coverage to protect those who are injured in an accident involving a Lyft driver. But whether their policy kicks in depends on the driver’s status at the time of the accident.
Not Logged On
Lyft will not provide insurance coverage if the driver is not logged into the app and seeking riders. That’s because the driver is operating the car in a personal capacity. Therefore, his or her mandatory South Carolina personal auto insurance coverage applies.
Logged On, Waiting For Ride Request
Drivers who are waiting for a fare are covered under Lyft’s insurance policy if they cause an accident. This coverage includes:
- $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident in bodily injury coverage
- $50,000 per accident for property damage
Lyft Driver Is Transporting Passenger
Lyft’s insurance policy also kicks in when a driver is actively transporting a passenger, with $1 million in coverage per accident. The coverage applies from the time the ride begins until it ends.
Making a claim against Lyft’s insurance policy may be relatively straightforward if you’re in a two-car accident and there are no questions of who is at fault. But when multiple vehicles are involved in the collision, you’ll be dealing with different policies and (most likely) disputes over who is to blame. It’s a good idea to contact a SC rideshare accident attorney to make sure that the liability is spread out fairly between all parties, because your right to compensation could be drastically affected by unfair assignments of liability.
What to Do If You’re Involved In A Lyft Accident
If you’ve been involved in a crash involving a Lyft vehicle, there are steps you can take to protect your safety as well as your legal rights. You should:
- Check for injuries: The first thing that should be done following a car accident is to ensure that everyone is OK. If you or another person is injured, call 911 immediately.
- Contact law enforcement: If police are called to the crash site, they will investigate what happened and prepare a report. The report will identify everyone involved in the Lyft accident and their insurance information. It will also indicate whether any drivers have been cited for motor vehicle code infractions or arrested for criminal offenses. In some cases, the officer may identify the driver(s) that he or she believes is at fault for the crash. Never admit fault yourself, even if you think you are to blame.
- Take photos: Get pictures or video of the accident scene, including the positions of the vehicles involved and any damage. Also look for skid marks, broken glass, traffic signals, lighting and other debris on the road that could indicate what happened or identify any contributing factors.
- Seek medical attention: Never refuse medical attention if it is offered to you. Even if you do not feel any pain, be sure to get checked by your primary care physician or at your local emergency room. Many car accident injuries can have a delayed onset. If you fail to seek treatment promptly, the insurance company may argue that you weren’t as hurt as you claim or that you made your condition worse by not getting medical care.
Contact an experienced Lyft accident lawyer. Lyft accident victims have a limited period of time to make a claim for compensation in South Carolina. The deadlines may vary based on who you are making the claim against, so it’s important to contact a lawyer as soon as possible to pursue full and fair compensation from the negligent party(s).
We Demand Maximum Compensation For Lyft Accident Victims in SC
If you or a loved one was harmed in a Lyft accident in South Carolina, it’s important to have a skilled lawyer by your side to answer the many insurance questions that arise when it comes to rideshare crashes. Let David Blackwell Law help.
Our trusted car accident attorneys have a proven track record of success obtaining compensation for injured South Carolinians. We strive to work as effectively and efficiently as possible to resolve your case and obtain the best possible outcome.
When you contact David Blackwell Law, we will provide you with a free consultation to hear your story and review the facts of your case. Then we’ll discuss your legal options and answer any questions that you may have about the legal process.
Don’t wait to learn whether you are entitled to compensation after your Lyft accident. Let David Blackwell Law take over so that you can concentrate and healing and getting back to daily life again.
Call or contact us now to arrange your free consultation.