Uber Accident Lawyer in SC
Rideshares have soared in popularity in South Carolina. While services like Uber and Lyft are a useful form of transportation for South Carolinians, there are also safety risks. If you were hurt in an Uber accident in South Carolina, the car accident attorneys at David Blackwell Law can help.
Whether you were hurt as a passenger or if an Uber driver hit your vehicle, rest assured that we can handle all aspects of your case so that you can focus on healing. We will work to obtain maximum compensation for you with as little disruption to your life as possible.
One of the primary challenges that car accident victims face is with insurance companies. Claims adjusters work hard to try to deny or limit your claim to compensation. David Blackwell Law will fight to protect your rights so that you are treated fairly and achieve the best possible outcome.
Uber’s Insurance Policy for Passengers
Accidents can happen at any time. But when the crash involves an Uber vehicle or other rideshare (also called a transportation network company or TNC), the way injury claims are handled can get complicated.
Determining whether Uber’s insurance policy kicks in to cover your injuries depends on the driver’s status at the time of the crash.
- Not logged in to the app: The claim must go through the driver’s personal liability insurance. South Carolina’s minimum requirements are $25,000 per person for bodily injury, $50,000 in total bodily injury per accident, and $25,000 in property damage insurance. Any expenses you incur as a direct result of your accident may be covered by the at-fault driver’s insurance up to the policy limits.
- If a driver is logged in: Uber’s limits are $150,000 for death and bodily injury per person, $100,000 for death and bodily injury per accident, and $50,000 for property damage per accident.
- If the driver is in a prearranged ride or matched with a rider: Uber must carry at least $1 million in coverage for death, bodily injury, and property damage.
If the Uber driver is at fault for the accident that injured you, you should be able to file for damages against that $1 million policy. But keep in mind that if other drivers were partially at fault, you may have a claim against them as well.
The South Carolina injury lawyers at David Blackwell Law will review the circumstances of your Uber accident carefully and determine all parties that should be held accountable for your injuries. We can help prepare your claim and assist in all settlement negotiations with the insurance company(s).
What Should I Do If I’m Involved in an Uber Accident?
If you’ve been injured in an Uber accident, there are several steps you should take to protect your rights.
- Call 911: Seeking medical attention is always a priority if you’ve been involved in an Uber accident. Medical care ensures that you do not have any hidden injuries that could be life-threatening. It also shows that you took every precaution to get prompt treatment and avoid making your injuries worse.
- Take photos of the accident scene: If you are able, document the accident. Take photos of the crash site from different angles, as well as of your injuries.
- Driver information: Get your Uber driver’s contact and insurance information, as well as the contact information for anyone else involved in the crash, including witnesses.
- Contact an experienced Uber accident lawyer: At David Blackwell Law, we can walk you through every step of the rideshare accident process. We’ll make sure that the proper insurance companies are notified. Don’t agree to give a recorded statement or sign anything until you’ve consulted with one of our South Carolina lawyers.
Uber will try hard to limit its liability in accident claims. Because its drivers are independent contractors, Uber may argue that it does not bear responsibility for any resulting injuries from a crash. Our attorneys will investigate the accident carefully to determine the driver’s status at the time of the crash, which will dictate the path your claim should take.
Rest assured that if you are not offered a full and fair settlement, David Blackwell Law is fully prepared to sue Uber, the insurance company, or the at-fault driver in court. Your case matters to us, and getting the best possible outcome is our goal.
What to Do If You’re Hit by an Uber Driver
If an Uber driver hits you, the same rules generally apply as if you’re a passenger in an Uber driver’s vehicle. A combination of the driver’s insurance and Uber’s insurance should pay for your injuries if it is established that an Uber rideshare driver was at fault.
Even though it is a legal requirement of all drivers to carry liability insurance, some Uber drivers may forget to renew their policy. In that event, you can also file a claim with your own insurance carrier if you carry uninsured/underinsured (UM/UIM) coverage. South Carolina does not require motorists to carry UM/UIM insurance. Review your auto policy to determine if you’ve elected it or wish to add it as a precaution moving forward.
What Kinds of Compensation Can I Recover in a Rideshare Accident Claim?
Compensation is available for a wide variety of losses in an Uber accident, including:
- Past, current, and future medical bills
- Rehabilitation (e.g., physical therapy, occupational therapy, etc.)
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Home health care aides
- Specialty providers
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish
- Loss of companionship
- Property damage
The amount of money you recover will depend on various factors, including the extent of your injuries and your financial losses. You attorney will be able to explain what type of damages you may be entitled to, as well as put a value on your case. But you should know that the value is an estimate only. No attorney should ever promise results for you.
At David Blackwell Law, we pay close attention to every detail of your case to make sure that we collect all of the necessary evidence to support your claim. We know what it takes to build a strong claim for compensation in Uber accident cases. Contact us today for a free consultation to learn your legal options.
How Can David Blackwell Law Help Me?
Speaking with a lawyer is important for anyone who has been seriously injured in a car accident. Severe injuries can take months or longer to heal, and the combined cost of medical bills and lost income can quickly take a financial toll.
At David Blackwell Law, we work to alleviate those burdens. We will:
Provide a free case evaluation, with no strings attached
- Evaluate the extent of your injuries and your financial losses
- Discuss whether you have a claim against Uber, the Uber driver, or other motorists
- Explain South Carolina car accident laws in clear, plain language
- Answer all of your questions
- Represent you vigorously, both during settlement negotiations or during trial
- Return your calls and e-mails promptly
The first place to start is with a free consultation. You’ll meet with one of our skilled Uber accident lawyers, who will listen to your story and explain your options. Whether you choose to hire an attorney or not, you will leave knowing your rights and can make an informed decision.
David Blackwell Law takes cases on a contingency fee basis. That means that there are no upfront costs that must be paid for us to work on your case. We only get paid if we obtain an award on your behalf.
Get Help for Your Uber Accident Claim Now
Ready to learn more about how we can help in your South Carolina Uber accident case? Contact us today for your free consultation.